Tom's Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Herbicide bucket for the field

What does the well-equipped restoration ecologist carry in the field? A bucket of herbicides! I never go anywhere without mine.

Pleasant Valley Conservancy is a fairly large area, and I get around it with our Kawasaki Mule utility vehicle or our pick-up truck. Sometimes I even use the Kubota tractor, which has a custom-made box on the back to carry supplies.

But wherever I go, I carry my bucket of herbicides, which contains three things: a two-gallon hand sprayer containing 2-3% Roundup (generic equivalent); a 32 ounce spray bottle containing 20% Garlon 4 in Bark Oil LT; and a 32 ounce bottle containing 50% Roundup. The two-gallon hand-held sprayer is used to treat general herbaceous weeds, such as garlic mustard, hedge parsley, motherwort, thistle, etc. etc. The Garlon 4 is used to basal bark woody plants such as sumac, blackberry, honeysuckle, buckthorn, etc. And the 50% Roundup is used to treat reed canary grass or cut stems of various woody plants, such as willow, box elder, etc. (The Garlon 4 can also be used for cut stems also.)

I can save a lot of time by having this bucket of herbicide with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home